Who doesn’t like good old fashioned cornbread? Whether you are looking for a side dish for your next dinner or holiday feast or wanting to eat cornbread for cornbread’s sake, you’ve come to the right place! This skillet Southern cornbread is everything you’re looking for.
Can you freeze cornbread?
Cornbread freezes beautifully! Wrap the cornbread tightly in plastic wrap and place in a large freezer bag. Seal and freeze. It lasts 3-4 months in the freezer. Reheat or serve at room temperature.
If you want to be able to take out individual pieces, then slice the cornbread before wrapping and freezing.
What’s another name for cornbread?
Now I didn’t grow up in the South, so I’m sure there are some stories behind these names but most of them just sound funny to me! Cornbread is also called Journey Cakes, Hoe Cakes, Johnnycake, Spoonbread, Corn Pone, and Indian Pone.
Corn Dodgers or Hush Puppies are basically when cornbread is made in a ball or fritter shape.
Skillet Southern Cornbread Recipe:
- 1 cup self-rising corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- ¼ to ½ cup vegetable or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°. Pour the oil in an 8-inch cast iron skillet and place it in the oven to heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together corn meal, flour, sugar, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs until well blended.
- Stir together the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. The mixture will be somewhat thick.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and add the batter to the skillet.
- Immediately return the skillet to the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven.
- Cover the skillet with a plate and flip the cornbread onto the plate. Cut into wedges.
- Serve warm or allow to cool and wrap in plastic wrap before placing in a freezer bag and freezing until needed.
It’s so nice to have a few of these in the freezer so that you always have it ready to serve as a side dish for your weeknight meal or holiday dinner such as Thanksgiving. If you want to get creative, you can even use this recipe to create cornbread stuffing.
What goes with cornbread?
- on its own with jam or honey
- BBQ Baked Beans
- Classic Chili
- White Chicken Chili
- Pulled Pork
- Sausage and Zucchini Soup
- Jalapeno Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Paprikash Stew
- White Bean and Chicken Soup
- Taco Chili
- Beef Stew
- Shrimp Boil
- Tomato Soup
- Mexican Pinto Beans
- Spinach and Sausage White Bean Soup
- Reggae Gumbo
- any stews
- any soups
Check out these other make ahead side dishes:
5 Secrets to Freezer Meal Success!
Sign up for your free guide to Freezer Meal Success.