Whether you’re looking for an easy appetizer or a quick dinner entrée, chicken wings are always a good choice! But who wants to make a mess frying wings on a busy weeknight? With the help of this oven baked chicken wings recipe, you can make crispy wings without the mess of frying! And the best part about this easy recipe is that you can prep the wings ahead of time and freeze them until you’re ready to start cooking. These are a great Game Day option. Serve these alongside our Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers, Ham and Cheese Sliders, and Buffalo Chicken Dip for an appetizer spread your guests will love.
Oven Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the chicken wings, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper in a large resealable bag. Shake the bag to combine the ingredients. Remove the excess air from the bag and seal.
- Place the chicken wings in the freezer until you’re ready to start cooking.
Oven Cooking Instructions:
- Transfer the chicken wings to the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the chicken wings in a single layer on a baking sheet and place them in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then flip the chicken and cook for an additional 15 to 30 minutes.
Air Fryer Cooking Instructions:
- Transfer the wings to the refrigerator to thaw overnight.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees for two minutes.
- Place the wings in the basket of the air fryer in a single layer.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then remove the basket and flip the wings over. Continue cooking for another 8 minutes.
How Long Does It Take to for Chicken Wings to Cook in the Oven?
Cooking your chicken wings in the oven is a mess-free way to prepare this popular recipe. But if you’ve never prepared wings in your oven, you might wondering how long it takes for the chicken to cook through.
When you cook your wings in a 400 degree oven, it takes around one hour for the wings to cook through with a crispy exterior. To ensure both sides of your wings are nice and crispy, make sure to flip the wings halfway through the cook time.
While using one hour as a starting point is a great idea, it’s always important to check the internal temperature of your wings before you eat them. Chicken should be cooked to 165° internally before it’s safe to eat. Sometimes with bone-in chicken such as wings, it’s best to even reach an internal temperature of 170°.
Is it Better to Bake Chicken Wings at 350 or 400 degrees?
When it comes to cooking wings in the oven, hotter is better. That means setting your oven to 400 degrees is the best option for preparing baked wings. Cooking your chicken at a high temperature is essential to getting a crispy coating on the outside of your wings while still keeping the meat juicy and tender.
How Do You Get Crispy Wings in the Oven?
Frying chicken wings in oil is a popular way to prepare them because it results in a crispy skin on the outside of the chicken. But frying isn’t the only way to achieve that crispiness! With the help of these baking tips, you can get that same crunch on the outside of your chicken by baking the wings in the oven.
- Dry the wings. To help the oil and seasoning stick to the skin on your chicken wings, take the time to blot the chicken dry with a paper towel. The towel will remove the extra moisture from the skin and create an area for the seasoning to stick.
- Don’t forget the oil. Even though you’re baking your wings, you still need a little bit of oil to help get them crispy while they cook. Instead of frying the chicken in the oil, the oil is used to coat the skin and make it crispy in the oven.
- Cook on a higher temperature. The best way to ensure your chicken gets crispy as it cooks is to start with a hot oven. Cooking your wings at a higher temperature will allow you to make the skin crispy while also trapping moisture inside the meat, resulting in wings that are juicy inside and crispy outside.
How Do You Store Chicken Wings?
These oven baked wings are best when they’re eaten right away. But if you have leftovers, they should be stored in the refrigerator. Keep the wings in an airtight container and store them in the fridge. They’ll stay good for up to three days.
To reheat the wings, bake them in the oven or the air fryer at 400 degrees until heated through.
What to Serve with Baked Chicken Wings:
Now that you have your chicken wings baked and ready to go, you’re going to need some recipe ideas to serve with them! Try these sides and sauces to add even more flavor to your meal.
- Dips, like ranch or blue cheese
- Sauces, like BBQ or buffalo sauce
- Raw veggies such as celery stalks and carrots
- Macaroni and cheese
- Chips and dips
- French fries
- 2 lbs. chicken wings
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
Place the chicken wings, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper in a large resealable bag. Shake the bag to combine the ingredients. Remove the excess air from the bag and seal. Thaw.
Preheat the oven to 400°.
Place the chicken wings in a single layer on a baking sheet and place them in the oven.
Bake for 30 minutes, then flip the chicken and cook for an additional 15 to 30 minutes.
Preheat the air fryer to 400° for two minutes.
Place the wings in the basket of the air fryer in a single layer.
Cook for 10 minutes, then remove the basket and flip the wings over. Continue cooking for another 8 minutes.