In busy seasons of life, freezer meals that can be cooked in the slow cooker are especially handy. This is one of the reasons Chicken Taco Soup works so well for our family. The ingredients are healthy and delicious, but also very simple. This is a freezer to crockpot meal that the whole family will love. This soup is also a winner because you can double, triple, or even quadruple it!
In the video below, we made two of these for the freezer in an attempt to see if an electric can opener was faster than a manual one.
Why You’ll Love Taco Soup Recipe in the Crock Pot
- The Crock Pot does all the hard work for you! It’s great to be able to do other things while the slow cooker cooks dinner. If you have a busy household, then you know exactly what I mean by this.
- This Chicken Taco Soup is so full of flavor. Once you learn how to flavor food properly, your kids will start eating more of your cooking. The flavors in this soup recipe is out of this world!
- Your kids can also help you put together this meal! The whole family will feel so proud that they helped.
Chicken Taco Soup Ingredients
- Chopped onion – One of my favorite things is adding chopped onion to my soup recipes.
- Chili style beans – This will add protein to the soup recipe as well.
- Black beans – These beans need to be drained and rinsed prior to using in this recipe.
- Kernel corn – Adding corn to the soup does help to add texture and flavor.
- Tomato sauce – This helps bring out the flavor in the soup!
- Diced tomatoes – Can you have taco soup without tomatoes? Yes, you can, but not in this family because we love tomatoes.
- Taco seasoning – In order to get that taco flavor that you love, this taco seasoning is a must have. I sometimes make my own or buy it in bulk because we go through so much of it.
- A can of beer – You will want to use gluten-free beer for this recipe if you need a gluten-free soup option.
- Boneless chicken breasts – This recipe calls for chicken breasts, but you can leave them out if you are trying to do a vegan or vegetarian option.
- Chicken Broth – You can substitute for vegetable if you’re making a vegetarian version.
How to Assemble for the Freezer
- Place all ingredients in a large resealable freezer bag.
- Remove excess air, seal, and freeze.
How to Cook From Freezer to Crock Pot
- Pull the frozen soup out of the freezer.
- Dump everything into the slow cooker.
- Cook the taco soup on low in crockpot for 4-7 hours (depending on your slow cooker). Add the chicken broth.
- Shred the chicken breasts before serving.
- Serve the individual bowls of soup.
- Serve with the toppings of your choice: sour cream, tortilla chips, sliced green onion, and grated cheese, or eat it as is.
FAQs for Taco Soup Recipe in Crock Pot
How long does it take to cook Chicken Taco Soup?
If you’re using a slow cooker, it usually takes about 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. For stovetop cooking, it should take 45 minutes to an hour.
Can I freeze Chicken Taco Soup?
Yes, this soup freezes well. Just be sure to cool it completely before freezing, and it can last up to 3 months in the freezer. And of course, it can also be frozen prior to cooking.
What do I serve with Chicken Taco Soup?
This soup is great on its own, but can also be served with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado slices, or fresh cilantro for added flavor and texture.
How do I make my Chicken Taco Soup spicier?
You can add more chili powder, cayenne pepper, or diced jalapenos to increase the heat level according to your preference.
Can I use canned chicken in Chicken Taco Soup?
While fresh chicken is recommended for the best flavor and texture, canned chicken can be a quick and convenient alternative. Just be sure to drain and rinse it before adding to the soup.
If you need a soup recipe that the whole family will love, give Chicken Taco Soup a try! One of the best parts of this soup is that it’s so versatile. You can take away or add any ingredient that you like!
Skip adding the chicken broth and spoon it into flour tortillas and top with cheese and eat as wraps. This is the preferred method of eating this for some of my kids.
Some of our other freezer friendly soups you may enjoy:
- 3 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 14 oz. can chili style beans
- 19 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can kernel corn drained
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 can of beer be sure to use gluten-free beer if you are wanting this to be gluten-free
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4.5 oz. can diced chilies
- 2 tsp. taco seasoning note: some store-bought taco seasoning contains gluten
- optional: tortilla chips or strips sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions for serving
- 900 mL chicken broth
- optional toppings shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado, tortilla chips, sliced green onions
Place all ingredients in a large resealable freezer bag. Remove excess air and seal. Freeze.
Dump the bag contents into the slow cooker. Add the chicken broth. Cook on low for 4-7 hours (depending on your slow cooker).
Shred the chicken breasts before serving.
Serve the individual bowls of soup with these topping ideas: sour cream, tortilla chips, sliced green onion, and grated cheese, or eat it as is.